If you’ve not cycled for a while and would like to get back on a bike for fitness, leisure, or an easy way to get to work, then why not give our Loan Bike scheme a go.
Bikes can be loaned for up to a month, absolutely FREE of charge and can be a great way to boost you confidence and see if cycling is for you, before investing in a new bike!
About the scheme
The loan bike scheme is open to anyone who lives, works or studies in Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset.
All bikes come with accessories – D-lock, cable lock, lights, and pannier. If you require a helmet you’ll need to supply your own.
The friendly team can assist in helping you choose the right bike to loan, setting the bike up, advise on the best routes to use and, if needed, book cycle training.
Contact details can be found at the bottom of this page.
Types of bikes (Subject to Availability)
- Hybrid bikes – for city commuting and leisure cycling
- Folding bikes – lightweight and easy to store
- Electric bikes – great for helping you get up those steep hills!
Areas and conditions to borrow a bike
|Bristol||18 yrs||FREE||1 month hybrid |
2 weeks electric
|£100 deposit payable in Cash or Cheque
(£250 for electric bikes)
|South Glos||18 yrs||FREE||1 month||£50 deposit payable in Cash or Cheque **|
|North Som||18 yrs||FREE||2 weeks||£50 deposit payable in Cash or Swipe Card|
Terms and conditions
- Available to anyone living, working or studying in the Bristol Council, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset Council local authority areas only.
- Terms and conditions vary slightly by local authority area.
- A deposit is required and repayment on return of bike and accessories.
- Due to high demand the correct sized bike may not always be available at the time when you want it. If so, we will contact you as soon as a suitable bike is available.
- ** South Glos participants MUST FIRST complete a basic cycle training session with a qualified instructor, which will take place at a convenient location for both parties. At the end of the loan period, the recipient can either choose to return their bike (and equipment) and receive their deposit back or purchase the bike and all safety equipment. The £50 deposit will cover this cost.
How to book?
Contact the Travelwest Sustainable Travel team to make an appointment and arrange to collect your bike
- T: 0117 352 1105
- M: 07591 614 505
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact the Business Support team to make an appointment and arrange to collect your bike
- T: 01454 863413
- E: BusinessSupportECS@southglos.gov.uk
Contact the North Somerset Sustainable Travel team to make an appointment and collect your bike
- T: 01934 426 404
- E: email@example.com
Last year, the Travelwest Sustainable Travel team loaned over 180 bikes to people like you and many have since gone on to buy their own bikes and use a bike more regularly.
Here are some of their experiences: