Cycling and Employers
Lots of businesses in and around Bristol have already began to encourage their staff to cycle to work more often by installing additional cycle parking, showers and locker facilities.
Promoting cycling makes buisness sense, as people who cycle regularly are fitter, healthier and more productive.
There are many local initiatives, grants and support available to businesses interesting in encourage more staff to ride to work regulally and have already began reaping the rewards.
What are the benefits?
Encouraging employees to cycle is good for business. There is evidence that:
- Staff who cycle are more alert and productive.
- Employees who cycle are statistically less likely to take time off sick.
- A pro-cycling stance can attract people to work for your business.
- More people cycling on business reduces demand for parking spaces and improves traffic flow, which is good for the local economy and your green credentials.
- Staff who cycle to meetings are more likely to be on time, rather than getting stuck in traffic.
- For longer journeys, cycling can be combined with the train and work can be done on the journey - no more time wasted behind the wheel.
Encouraging cycling is low cost and high value it's worked for dozens of organisations in Bristol and could work for yours.
How we can help
The Travel Roadshow team in Greater Bristol can provide information, advice and resources to encourage your staff to cycle. We’ve had some real successes with local organisations in Bristol, and can give you free advice on ideas that work.
How we've helped others:
- Cycle Roadshows
- Route planning advice for employees – free maps, information, posters & leaflets
- On site bike maintenance sessions with Dr Bike (NB we can arrange ‘taster’ sessions and encourage you to contract directly with local providers thereafter)
- Help with assessing the facilities you need (cycle parking, lockers, cycle maintenance tools, etc.)
- Access to Adult Cycle Skills training
- Reduced cost bike maintenance classes
- Loan bikes available for up to a month for people who want to try cycling (deposit required and conditions apply)
- Advice on setting up Cycle To Work schemes
Drop us an email:
These are just some of the organisations we have worked with:
- Base Structures
- Bristol Development Partnership
- Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Bristol Water
- Bond Pearce
- Burges Salmon
- City of Bristol College
- Essential Trading
- Greenway Centre
- Jobcentre Plus
- Lawrence Weston Medical Centre
- Learning Communities
- Legal Services Commission
- Lloyds HBOS
- Lyons Davidson
- Magazine Services
- NFU Mutual
- Mott McDonald
- NHS Bristol
- Places for People
- Bristol Prison
- RSK Group
- University of Bristol
- Vehicle Certification Agency
- Bristol Zoo